Before we get into all of the new kids in town - big ups to the crew that started brewing before it was cool and put us on the map: Our hometown hero, Boulevard Brewing Co. Boulevard has an awesome new visitor center with a beer hall, tasting room, food, and retail space. Go there.
And then check out some of Kansas City's other breweries, wineries, and distilleries. Listed here by neighborhood (so you can make a day of it!).
You've probably heard by now - the Crossroads is the new 'it' spot for brewers and more.
- Border Brewing Co: The perfect taproom to start your Crossroads brewery tour.
- Double Shift Brewing Company: A fan favorite with a taproom that is ideal for enjoying a nice day.
- Torn Label Brewing Company: Worth finding (it's a bit further East) to enjoy their intimate taproom.
- Lifted Spirits Distillery: They make a delightful, refreshing gin and have a great space with many historical details.
- KC Wine Works: They make wine that wine drinkers actually like and have a darling tasting room.
- Tom's Town Distillery Company: This place is fancy, hip, and they make delicious cocktails in a sultry setting.
North Kansas City
- The Big Rip Brewing Company: What started in a basement is now a delightful brewery + they give you a $1 discount if you ride your bike in on Sundays.
- Cinder Block Brewery: Cinder Block is my favorite brewery in KC. I love their ciders, the smell of the place, the wide windows, and their newly expanded patio.
- Restless Spirits Distillery Company: Restless Spirits boasts a vodka, gin and whiskey, and Kansas City’s only female distiller in Benay Shannon.
- KC Bier Co.: A neighborhood favorite and a go-to brewing company for many locals.
The West Bottoms aren't just for Warehouse Weekends, check them out for refreshing beer and nice wine.
- Stockyards Brewing Co.: With a bar and taproom located in the old Golden Ox building, this brewery does a great job of honoring our history while bringing new life to a unique space.
- Amigoni Urban Winery: This classy and delightful place has fabulous wine and is the perfect setting to enjoy it.
- J. Rieger & Co.: The crew behind J. Rieger & Co reinvigorated a company that was thriving before Prohibition took them out and they're doing it right.
- SD Strong Distilling: Distilled 42 feet underground, SD Strong makes excellent spirits (also, check out their website - it's awesome).
- Pirtle Winery: Pirtle has sweet wine, but boasts a lovely place to enjoy a glass and the slower pace of life in Weston.
- Weston Brewing Company: A top place to visit - it's fun and they make really good beer.
- Union Horse Distilling Company: Formerly known as Dark Horse, Union Horse is a family-owned distillery that has been making quality spirits since 2010.
- Somerset Ridge Vineyard-Winery: This vineyard is perfect for an afternoon drink - I ride my bike by it and am always tempted to abort my ride and spend the rest of the day on the patio.
Thirsty yet? It's time to grab a drink!
Support our local makers and do your patriotic duty - go have a drink and cheer to Kansas City's thriving beverage culture.
What spots did I miss? Leave a comment with your favorite!