A Charming Eatery With Pho That Will Cure Any Ailment
If you haven’t been to Vietnam Café in Columbus Park, you need to go. Like today. Vietnam Café is fresh, authentic and ridiculously affordable. Not to mention their pho (pronounced fuh) is sensational.
If you’re a pho-virgin, let me break it down – pho is soup. But it’s not just any soup. It’s out-of-this-world, clear your sinuses, cure your hangover, let’s go make a baby soup.
Pho is comprised of a rich savory broth, rice noodles and your choice of sustenance like beef, chicken, seafood or my personal favorite – vegetables and tofu (because I’m gangster like that). It's served with a plate of tasty and nutritious garnishments including bean sprouts, cilantro, Thai basil, jalapeño and lime and you can adjust the flavor (and heat) with fish sauce, hoisin sauce and (mmhmm) sriracha.
The rest of the menu follows suit and is marvelous. Grab a friend, a co-worker or a neighbor and check this place out!
Here's the breakdown:
- Columbus Park
Best time of day to visit:
- Lunch (but watch out, there’s a line out the door from 11am-1pm everyday – its that good) or dinner
- Banh Tom Chien aka Fried Shrimp and Sweet Potatoes: The sweet potatoes (which are cut like french fries) and shrimp are battered in tempura and deep fried. They are served with lettuce and herbs so you can make lettuce wraps and feel better about yourself as you enjoy every last bite.
- Crab Rangoon: Always a winner and Vietnam Cafe's are excellent.
- Pho: Duh (especially on a cold day).
- Bun (boon): Bun is a refreshing noodle salad with rice vermicelli, fresh vegetables and herbs, your choice of meat, an egg roll and chopped peanuts. It sounds weird, but its perfect on a hot summer day.
- Charming. The staff is lovely, the space is cozy and they take great care of you. It’s one of those places you have to visit to understand.
- Top-notch food
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Super inexpensive
Watch out for:
- While they have many vegetable-based dishes, they use chicken and beef stock in their pho’s, so be sure to ask if you have special dietary needs.
- They are extremely efficient in getting you your food - don’t be surprised if you’re asked to order before you are seated.
- Come early or late for lunch– it gets packed.
- Carry-out is lightning-fast and easy.
- Try their Vietnamese Iced Coffee, served over sweetened condensed milk, so naughty, but so good!
Go there now: Vietnam Cafe 522 Campbell St Kansas City, MO 64106 816.472.4888