Day trips are a great way to reset and recharge from your busy, everyday life. Within a couple hours you can see a different way of life and experience new things.
And us Kansas Citians are lucky to have excellent places to explore in our backyard. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Weston, Missouri: Weston is an ideal place for families, couples, or a girls getaway. Shop, dine, drink, or explore the Weston Bend State Park. Don't miss the McCormick Country Store where shots of their locally-made spirits are only $0.25.
- Powell Gardens: Located about 40 minutes from Kansas City, the botanical gardens boast acres of gorgeous gardens and the nation's largest edible landscape.
- Lawrence, Kansas: Explore the University of Kansas campus, shop on Massachusetts street, dine at one of the many local restaurants, enjoy live music, or visit Clinton Lake State Park for a hike or picnic.
- Cottonwood Falls, Kansas: Located a couple hours away from KC, it's worth the drive (especially since much of it is through the scenic Flint Hills). Explore Broadway Street and the historic Chase County Courthouse, built in 1873.
- Historic Downtown Parkville, Missouri: Featuring fun food, local shops, and access to English Landing Park. Visit Cafe de Amis if you're feeling fancy and Wines by Jennifer if you're thirsty.
- Downtown Lee's Summit, Missouri: A nice place to visit on Saturday's for the farmer's market, local sweets, shopping, and dining.
- Jamesport, Missouri: Located in the heart of Amish country, Jamesport features restaurants, bakeries, and country stores.
- Baldwin City, Kansas: Located in Douglas County, Baldwin City is the home to Baker University, several restaurants and a darling downtown.
- Rocheport, Missouri: Visit a winery, shop, or take in the view at Les Bourgeois Bistro & A-Frame.
What spots am I missing? Leave a comment below with your favorite place to visit.